Monday, July 13, 2009

On the Origins of Superstition

Maybe this should be on The Secret Blog instead of the From the Garden blog. Heh.

There was a vole (yes, a vole, not a mole) living under one of my Astilbe plants. Every time I watered the Astilbe, I flushed it out but I was never quick enough to kill it. (Unlike my brother, with his lightning fast reflexes. I saw him kill a mouse at Eleven Mile reservoir a couple of years ago and I am still amazed bordering on stupification.)

Anyway, one day last week, I said aloud in the garden, "Why can't I get some help with this vole problem?"

The very next day, someone had excavated around the Astilbe and killed the vole and left it lying in plain sight. It was a sizeable excavation. If a fox had done this, why would the fox not have eaten the vole?

Of course, this recalls the Lovecraftian prohibition regarding, "Call up not that which you cannot put down again lest it call up in turn against you."

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Can't we all just get along? Who are you to judge that a vole is any less worthy as a member of the garden community than the Astilbe plants or the fox?

Orthoclase said...

I am the gardener.

It is my role to make these decisions.

Everything I do, or do not do, favors one species over another.

This is Life in the Food Chain.

Elizabeth said...

I don't see how the observation that your decisions have consequences is in any way a justification for why you made that particular decision.

Orthoclase said...

Maybe this is something we should discuss in person over beverages.

Again, this is what gardeners do. We constantly make value judgments that benefit one species over another. It is my judgment that my garden has too many voles and not enough other species that I value like hostas and lilies. Voles are particularly hard on hostas and lilies.

I forgot to mention that I respectfully laid out the fly blown corpse on a piece of bark near the compost piles and it promptly vanished.

So some other lifeform, maybe a crow, got the benefit of it.