Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Rusty metal

When the Diggers Hotline people came out and marked the yard earlier this year, they marked one spot that I could not figure out.

Yesterday, my curiosity got the best of me and I dug that spot with a shovel to discover two large pieces of rusty metal.

One was a two-inch diameter metal pipe about two feet long.

The other was part of a heavy-gauge metal fence post.

My guess is that they were part of an old pasture fence line from before the subdivision was built.

The result is a deep hole back-filled with an excellent soil mix.

Maybe I can plant a tulip tree there.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You could not figure it out? What were they marking for?

Orthoclase said...

Having Diggers Hotline mark the yard was one of the prerequisites for getting the rain garden review from the Root-Pike Watershed Initiative this spring.

They marked the city water line (I already knew where it was).

They marked the natural gas line (I already knew where it was).

Then there was this random "dot" marked in the yard that was not associated with anything I knew about.

It turned out to be the two big chunks of rusty metal.